new to all this

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• new to all this

:) Me and my boyfriend are going to arinsal in april, but just for a long weekend

Both of us have never skiied before and any info would be great
      we have booked our fligh and hotel with a tour company but do not have a rep, so we are booking lessons etc ourselfs.
      I have been in contact wil Vallnord as this is who our tour operator said to contact for lessons.
      I am in the middle of doing this. But really unsure what to book how many hours etc and what they involve. As we are only here for a long weekend. we have been recomended private lessons.
      I also was wondering where do we rent equipment etc from.
      We are staying at the xalut husa xalet verdu hotel. Is this near to resort etc?

ANY help would be great
    • Hi Anna

The Xalet Verdu is a nice hotel just a few minutes walk to the gondola and the village centre. If you've never skied/snowboarded before then it's definately worth booking some. For a long weekend then private lessons are definately the way to go because group lessons run from Monday to Friday.

As for the number of hours, it depends on if you've practised before on a dry/artificial slope, and how much money you want to spend. I might recommend 2-3 of hours both mornings then you have the afternoons to practise what you've been taught. Alternatively if you're quite nervous maye another 1-2 hours on your first afternoon as well.

We can organise any private lessons you need as well as your lift passes if you haven't already booked them. As for rental equipment by pre-booking with us you can save 30% on the resort price and we use Sant Moritz rentals who have four shops - you either want to use their shop in the village centre or their shop up on the slopes.

If you've got any specific questions please feel free to ask away on here or send me a message from the contact form.

Steve
    • Thankyou steve

Thats great help already. Well i have been in contact with vallnord , just through email. I think they are going to book the lessons for me, or is it easier doing it through here. I would definately be interested in renting the equipment . That would be great if you could help with that,
      I know its a bit late in the season but still hope there will be some.
      Also no ,have never skiied ,but hoping to try on a dry slope before at least to get a bit of a insight.

Thanks for all your help. Is the ski school ok to reach from the hotel?
    • I've never booked anything myself through Vallnord the way a customer would so don't know what their process is. To book your rentals through us go to our online shop which is at www.arinsal.co.uk/shop.

The temperature has been below zero since it snowed so it's keeping in good condition, so hopefully this will continue.

As for the school, there's only one in Arinsal and it's at the top of the gondola (about a 2-3 minute walk from your hotel) so yes the Xalet Verdu is handy. When you get off at the top of the gondola there's a big building in front of you. Go up the staircase to the righthand side of the building and the school office is just there on the left.

• Hi,
      We went for our first time 3 weeks ago and had the most fantastic time, you will love it. For a first timer just stick to the most basic equipment it is made for beginners and is the most forgiving and you will save yourself a load of cash. We used this web site for all our lessons and hire gear and it could not have been easier.
      My wife, who has never skied before, had a fantastic time and has already said she wants to go back next year, so Steve we will be back and using your services once again, well done :D
      How busy does it get in Feb half term BTW?
      Sorry gone a little off piste,
      The whole area is so easy to get round and the people are fantastic. We stayed at the Sant Andreu, just next door up the hill. I would recommend a little apres in El Moli's before heading back up the hill, it's directly opposite the gondola and gets perfect afternoon sun, oh and the free hot dogs are very welcome (more deals are available please check out the bloke at the bottom trying to get you into their pubs).
      ENJOY :thumbsup:
    • Anna, as RicFrench said the bronze level is ideal for beginners - it's still a carving ski but just at the bottom of the range and maybe 2-3 season old.

Ric, at half term it is a lot busier on the slopes, especially more children, however still not too bad and you can easily get over to Pal where it's quieter. If you've got a rental car whilst you're here too then there's always Arcalis which mid-week is especially quiet now the free bus only goes Friday and Saturday.

PS. Glad you enjoyed our service, and look forward to helping out again next season.
    • At the moment sunglasses are best for eyewear, however if it snows whilst you're here then you'll probably want goggles. If you don't bring any with you then you can pick some cheap ones up from any of the ski shops.

At this time of year you probably won't need too many layers, maybe just one long sleeved top and a jacket. You'll see some people not even wearing jackets it's that warm! That being said, definately bring a couple of layers and possibly a fleece so that you can layer up if the temperature drops. Layers trap air in between them and make you warmer, plus you can take some off if you get too hot. You can rent small lockers up on the slopes if you want to store things for the day.

If you're not already seen it we have a 'What to Wear' section in the Beginner's Guide on the Mountain menu.