Another beginner....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Another beginner....

Booked a package on the spur of the moment through Thompson a few weeks ago and after the event found this site...
      Ah well I will know for next time :(

My partner has been skiing several times and sounds like she is pretty competent; I on the other hand have never been. We are both the wrong side of 30...
      After chatting with a few friends and colleagues they recommended I go for at least a lesson prior to the holiday, so on Wednesday I went to Chill Factor in Manchester. I had a full day lesson and came away pretty demoralised. I simply couldn't get my legs and body into the right position to even snow plough without being in considerable pain in my upper legs. I thought I had it at one point but then the next run (and this was only down the gentle lesson slope) it all went wrong again. There were 8 in the group and I think they all had some degree of success - I felt I came away no better than when I arrived :(
      At the end of the day the instructor took us on the main slope (just the 1/4 way up) which was pretty daunting with all the other skiers and boarders hurtling toward you. Every attempt I simply couldn't slow myself down, turn or stop and ended up wiping out whoever was at the bottom of the slope which I think started to get a bit annoying for everyone else.
      I have attempted to read up and understand what I am supposed to do but don't feel any more confident. I really want to learn and enjoy the holiday but based on my attempts on Wednesday I can't see me getting very far. My thoughts so far are: If I don't get anywhere by the end of the 2nd day I am probably going to bailout and just try and enjoy the snow festival activities (that don't involve skiing). I am sure this is not going to go down well with the girlfriend though.

Anyway we have a week booked, flying out on Sunday 14th March and I am simply dreading it :o( As part of the package we have 5-days of lessons included which I assume is at the one skiing school I have read is at Arinsal?

Any tips, assurances or whatever appreciated.....

Andy
    • Hi Andy

Don't get too hung up on it! A skiing holiday is as much about the apres ski as it is about the skiing!

The instructors here in Arinsal are very experienced and will really help you to progress. Go for a beginners group and they'll start from te beginning with all the basics and the nursery slope where you start is very gentle and not very long, then there are very good 'green' slopes for progression.

If you feel that you're at the lower end of your group then you can ask for a private 1-2-1 lesson which next week is €38 per hour. Before you book any speak to your group instructor because they will probably be able to get you with themselves which would be best then they can progress the same lesson with you on your own, then carry things on in to your group lesson.

Even if you're not enjoying it after the first day don't give up and really give it a good chance. It does hurt your legs to begin with because you'll be using muscles you're not used to using and it will get easier as you progress.

I hope you enjoy it!

Steve :thumbsup:
    • Thanks for the assurance Steve; hopefully I'll get there....

Skiing is something I have wanted to do for ages but friends and my previous partner never expressed any interest so I have never got around to having a go. I am going to give it my best shot and we'll see what happens.

Thanks, Andy
    • ADB - I am flying out on the 14th as well and just like you I havent skied before but I have boarded twice. Going with the GF as well who has never been so thought I would try skiing. You are not alone mate and I am sure you will get the hang of it and make progress over the week.
    • We have been to Arinsal twice and can confirm the instructors are very good with beginners. I am the wrong side of 40 and went to Arinsal last year as a beginner and had a great time and progressed well with my skiing (I didnt like it at first either and my legs hurt). Give it a go but don't forget to have regular rests and don't try to do too much on the first day.

Have a great time! :)
    • ADB, keep the faith, you'll be fine and come away chuffed at having opened yourself up to a whole new world.

We've ski'd for 5 years now, the first couple of days in ski school are the most daunting, but once you've found your legs (and you will find them) it begins to click, the confidence grows and the fun begins and remember it's not all about speed but more about control!

Have fun and enjoy Arinsal/Pal it's a really friendly place to ski. Far more courteous than some F resorts.
    • Remember to pack a couple of essentials
      1. Lots of Ibuprofen
      2. Lots of Deep Heat
      8o

To be honest age doesn't really matter that much, just stick within your own physical limits(for the first couple of days anyway) you'll be fine.
      If all else fails don't forget there is plenty of liquid muscle relaxant around the area.

We are flying out tomorrow morning, it's my first time up a mountain for 20+ years(yes, over 40-JUST) and my wifes first time on skis,should be fun, oh we have a 6 year old lad to keep up with, so thats the afternoon vegin' out gone ;( .