Lessons - ability/confidence

• Lessons - ability/confidence

Hi! I am returning to arinsal for the third year next week. I am not sure which group to join for lessons. I did the easiest intermediate class last year, but should probably have joined dryslopers? I am wondering whether to repeat the easiest intermediate class or join the dryslopers this year? I realise that it all depends on the ability of others in the groups. I guess I could start in the easy intermediate and have a private lesson if I am struggling, or move groups if necessary or start with dryslopers and move if it is too slow? It's all about confidence for me. I am happy ski-ing the blues from the top of the 6 man chair-lift, but nervous on the run to the village, pal and the run back, and on reds. I really don't want to hold up better skiers in a group, but equally like a challenge despite my nerves! Any advice would be gratefully received!!!! Thanks in advance
    • Hi Lynne

As you've already done the lower intermediate class I wouldn't go down to the dry slope groups, I'd suggest meeting with the intermediates then at the ski-off you'll be put into an appropriate group. If it's too challenging you can always ask your instructor to move down a group.

As for building confidence, a private 1-2-1 lesson would probably help you a lot because the instructor can dedicate their full attention to you. You can pre-book private lessons through us, or ask your group instructor when they are available to take you.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    • Thanks for that Steve. I think maybe you are right and a private lesson on the first and/or second day might just do the trick. How do I arrange that if I do it with you? How much does it cost? What times are they available? My ski school is mornings; maybe second day is best so as not to get too tired (thinking of the two sessions on the first day).
      Many Thanks, Lynne*
    • Hello,
      I am coming to arinsall at the end of March with 2 friends who have never skied before. I have (just a few weeks ago) but I am of very poor ability (VERY VERY POOR). But I can manage a snow plough I think - should we book a lesson for the three of us or should I do a separate one do you think?
      Also we wont be arriving on the slopes until the Tuesday - can we book a lesson in advance for A Tuesday morning or will it have to be in the afternoon?
      Phil
    • Hi Philippa

If you can already snowplough then you'd most probably be bored having lessons with your friends who have never tried before. It may be an idea for your friends to get a couple of hours on an artificial slope before they come so you can all ski together.

Just ask if you have any questions, or to book any private lessons just get in touch from the contact form with the dates and times you would like.

Steve
    • Hi,

I've read on the forums about the "Ski Off" on the first Monday lesson and have a couple of questions.

Group of us will be arriving in one week (cant wait), with 2 of us having lessons. When we booked the snowboard lessons (as part of the package with Neilson) we put that we were beginners as although we have "skiied" before (a very long time ago) we have only had a 1hr snowboard lesson each which was about 10 years ago.

1. Do you think we were correct in putting "beginner"?
      2. Do the beginner groups have the "Ski offs" or is it just the intermediate or higher groups?
      3. If we selected beginner but find we are maybe more intermediate can you move groups?
      4. If the 2 of us end up being different levels can we still choose to stay in the same group?

Thanks.
    • For snowboarders they all meet together on Monday morning regardless of level and then the instructors will assess you from there. Total beginners don't have a "ski-off" as they don't know what they're doing yet :pinch:

If you're different levels then you'll probably be in different groups, but it depends on how different your levels are.