Ski School v Private Lessons

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ski School v Private Lessons

Hello

I am trying to decide whether my daughters aged 9 and 5 (both first time skiers) should go into ski school or have a shared private lessons. Any advice gratefully received. Specifically:-

1. Can a 5 year old go into ski school; the info on this site suggests that you may need to be 6?

2. Will they be put in different groups or are they likely to start with each other?

3. If in different groups, can they still have the same time slots?

4. Presumably you can get one private instructor for both?

5. Is the price for private lessons quoted on this site for two person per person or the total?

6. How far afield are they likely to be taken at ski school? is this likely to be limited to the nursery slopes.

That is all! Many thanks.
    • Hi Stuart

Stuart wrote:

1. Can a 5 year old go into ski school; the info on this site suggests that you may need to be 6?

Group lessons start from 6 years. A 5 year old would go to Snow Garden (have a look at the Children page on the mountain menu for more info).

Stuart wrote:

2. Will they be put in different groups or are they likely to start with each other?

Snow Garden and Ski School are usually separate, but there is a small chance that small 6 year olds may spend some time in the Snow Garden enclosure as part of their lesson.

Stuart wrote:

3. If in different groups, can they still have the same time slots?

Group lessons are either morning or afternoon, and adult & child group lessons have the same time slots. Snow Garden is flexible to suit what the parents want, and you can leave your kids there all day if you want!! 8o

Stuart wrote:

4. Presumably you can get one private instructor for both?

Yes you can.

Stuart wrote:

5. Is the price for private lessons quoted on this site for two person per person or the total?

The prices quoted on the Tuition page are per instructor.

Stuart wrote:

6. How far afield are they likely to be taken at ski school? is this likely to be limited to the nursery slopes.

Snow Garden will be kept within the enclosed area. Ski School depends on how fast the group progesses - they'll possibly start in the Snow Garden area, then head for the nursery slopes, before progressing further up the mountain during the week. They won't venture as far as Pal though, sticking within the Arinsal area.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve
    • Snow Garden?

Steve

I have not yet decided on Ski School or Private lessons for my kids. I would prefer my 9 year old to go into Ski School but am a little concerned that Snow Garden may be too limiting for my 5 year old (who has had a private lesson at home and came on very well). If that is the case then private lessons for the two of them together may be better. Have you got any more information on the activities in Snow Garden? The emphasis is, of course, on fun for both of them but so that they can advance and spend some time skiing with us.

Many thanks.
    • There are usually several groups of kids ranging from 'can't stand up' to 'future olympian?' The instructors will put your kids in a group that will be challenging for them without putting them at risk or trying to get them to do more than they are ready for. Our two (10 and 8 now) have been to SKi Schol twice in Arinsal starting from complete beginners aged 8 and 6. They both went to snow park on the first day and were skiing reds by the end of the week. We are back in a month and they were given a choice to ski withus or go to ski school. They both picked ski school. I would imagine that private lessons will aloow them to advance more quickly, but they enjoy the social aspect of ski school as well
    • Personally I wouldn't recommend private lessons for a 5 & 9 year old as they will probably progress at different speeds, and will probably learn differently. The snow garden is specifically designed for younger kids and they have a gentle slope outside which is fenced off with fun activities for them to do whilst on skis, as well as being able to play in the snow.

As private lessons are priced for either 1 or 2 people, you may want to try them together for the first hour, then speak to the instructor about how it went, then decide whether they stay together or your younger one heads off to snow garden.
    • Hi,

I hope i'm not too late. We went to Arinisal 6 years ago as our first trip skiing. My daughter was 4 and my son was 7. He went to ski school and it was brilliant for him. My daughter went to the snow garden and just sat about. We put her into a private lesson for one hour on the thursday and friday and it was unbelievable the change in her. i would recommend private lessons for your youngest one and ski school for your oldest this time. It will make all the difference to your holiday. You will be able to ski together from the start and not just the last two days like we did!!

regards,
      Marsmy
    • I totally agree , in our experience they just leave the kids who dont progress as quickly sitting around, it happened to our children one advanced a lot quicker and was taken out of the garden after the first day - aged 4 and my 7 year old daughter lacked the same confidence. We decided to pay for a private one to one lesson for her , the best money we ever spent, she then advanced and both my 4 and 7 year old were taken onto the slopes by the afternoon of the second day.

Best to give them a day to get into it and take it from there , the ski kindergarden were very flexible about kids staying in the area and being taken out if the instructor thought they were up to it

Have a great time , we are back in March ....counting down the days already!!