Ski Hire Insurance

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ski Hire Insurance

Booked Ski hire online with Pic Nigre 2 (just opposite Gondola in Arinsal). When we arrived to collect them on the first day, there was a big push from the Lady Manager to take out insurance. It was going to cost €50 extra for our family. I explained that I had never needed it on all my previous years but that I understood that I would have to pay €200 if the skis were lost or broken. Thay also hadn't a helmet to fit me and I was to collect it in their other branch (No. 3) up at the top of the gondola. I was also surprised that they insisted on leaving a passport or driving licence as security (they already had my credit card details and I asked would they not take a copy but no).
      On returning the equipment at the end of the week, the Manager immediately said ,"you should have taken the insurance". She explained that a little white sticker under the boot area of the ski said "03" instead of "02" and that these skis were from Pic Negre 03. We explained that these skis were the same colour, size brand and boot size to the ones she had given us. I even consceeded that these skis could possibly have been mixed up in error at some time during the week but that obviously then, some other person would be returning "02"skis to the Pic Negre 03 shop. She said that the other shop was very seperate and that this was a big problem. I reminded her that I had to pick up my helmet from this other shop. She said that we had to pay the €200 or she would call the Police. I told her to go ahead as I wouldn't be scammed out of €200. :(
      She didn't call but refused to give back my wifes driving licence. She also put away the skis from the "other shop".
      So she kept the skis, she wanted €200, and if the skis were genuinely mixed up then supposedly some other person was charged €200 for leaving our skis in theother branch. I think however that this was setup from the start as she was annoyed when we didn't take the insurance.
      It was a sad end to a great holiday. Kids upset at what they had to listen to for half an hour before we gave up, but I explained to them that all other people from accomodation to restaurants had been lovely and not to tar Andorra due to one nasty person.
      So watch out for people who insist on keeping your passport or licence....thank goodness we had the licence handy at the time...it will cost €55 to replace however! :(
    • I know its a little late now but NEVER, NEVER hand over any documents like that. they have no right what so ever to keep hold of them. you should have insisted that the police were called as what she has done is effectively stolen your driving licence.
      keep your eyes open for any fraudulent activity regarding your identity.
    • Good advice I stupidly left my credit card in one of the ski hire shops (not pic negre) as security as we hired 20 sets of skis in our group . When I got home I found out it had been scammed and someone had spend 1000 euros on it !!!luckily my bank believed me and I as refunded . It hasn't put me off going to Arinsal just don't use this particular shop and will NEVER leave my credit card etc again :thumbsup:
    • I'd rather not say but it was one on the top of he gondola I spoke with them and they did reassure me that is was an isolated incident as they had staffing issues that year . Im sure its not common in the resort and its not put me off it can happen anywhere . i order mine before I go now from Alpineresorts websirte and pay up front and get a voucher to present to the hire shop when we arrive therefore no cards are needed. I believe u can also hire from this site. Going again next week cannot wait :)
    • I'd definitely recommend not leaving your passport or driving license with anybody, or your credit card either.

We work with the Sant Moritz chain of shops and they take a swipe of your credit card as a security for the skis, which is deleted as soon as the skis are returned.

Ski hire shops generally take some kind of security for equipment they rent out just because the equipment is expensive and they need to ensure they get it back. If you don't have a credit card then I'd suggest leaving a cash deposit, which would normally be equivalent to the amount you would have to pay if you didn't return your skis.

Whenever you rent skis I'd also recommend making a note of the reference numbers of the skis so you know you have the correct ones. This isn't just to make sure you take the correct ones back at the end of the week, it's also because your bindings will be set for your size/weight/experience so taking the wrong skis can cause you to have an accident or injury.