New to Andorra - HELP PLEASE!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New to Andorra - HELP PLEASE!!

Hi

We are coming to Andorra for the 1st time (27th Dec for 5 days) and wondered if you could help please.

I've booked flights, transfer and hotel (Husa Patagonia) but need some additional help please.

a) Where best to get the best value ski hire and lift pass - Arinsal.co.uk? Our hotel has mentioned 5% discount but I'd rather pre book.

b) If we got them from Arinsal.co.uk, is that near our hotel to collect the day before (I think they offer that service)?

c) Where do you tend to store skis overnight - in the hotel?

d) Forgive my lack of geography so far - can you ski into our hotel (or nearby)?

Any first time help and tips gratefully received. We've been to the same place in Bulgaria for the last 5 years so anything different feels weird!! :(

Thanks

Jordy
    • Hi Jordy

Welcome to the forum! I'll answer your questions below:

a) Lift pass prices are set by the mountain and aren't supposed to be discounted so the prices on our website should be the same as everywhere else. For ski hire we offer a 30% discount for pre-booking, then if you book your lift pass and equipment together you get a further €5 discount so long as it's at least five days, whic you are.

b) You can collect your skis from the Sant Moritz shop either underneath the hotel next door to the Patagonia, or from the shop at the top of the chairlift approx. 50 metres from your hotel. For the ski passes just give us a call when you arrive and Hayley will come to meet you at the hotel with them (details will be on your confirmation voucher).

c) You can book a locker on our online shop (under "Extras"), or you can check with your hotel about storing them there - I'm not sure of any specific arrangements at your hotel but most hotels have some kind of ski locker.

d) You can ski down to approx. 50 metres from your hotel to where the chairlift is.

I'm sure you'll love Arinsal, and just ask if you think of any other questions.

Steve
    • Steve, that's great thank you.

I'll book everything asap.

I think we get the 1pm bus from Barca - by the time we arrive in Arinsal, will that give us time to collect everything or will we need to wait until the day of skiing?

I've read Arcalis is worth a trip - is the free bus easy to get on or do you need to pre-book and what time does it depart?

Best wishes

jordy
    • Hi Jordy

If you go straight to the rental shop when you arrive you should be able to get your equipment - the shop near your hotel closes at 17:00 so you'd need to be there by 16:30 to have time to be fitted. Otherwise it's open from 08:30.

Definitely head to Arcalis, it's fantastic there - the bus stop is very close to your hotel so you should get a space on the bus but the bus gets very busy. You can't pre-book the bus.

Steve
    • Thanks Steve

Daft question - I'd like to try and sort out a piste map we can take with us out and about. The one on the website is good but very ornate - for us newcomers it might be tricky to follow.

Do you know of any others we can download by any chance?

I'll hopefully purchase the skis etc today.

Cheers

Ian
    • When you arrive you'll be able to pick one up - normally hotel receptions have them, or if you book your lift passes through us we put one in your envelope with your ski passes.

The one to download is quite small, but has to fit on a sheet of paper! The real ones are big fold out things so you can see where you're going.
    • Andorra v Bulgaria

Been to Bulgaria Borovets twice and Andorra twice (Pas de la casa last year and previously Arinsal) and I found the "quality" of snow in Andorra is sooo much better than Eastern Block! Did you say you had 5 yrs experience? The runs over in Pal will be "Easy" reds for you from memory but are very relaxing and enjoyable! Pistes to just cruzzze on LOL! The videos posted on this website are pretty cool.You can kind of see that the reds are not too challenging.....would have liked to have seen more sunshine in the videos though.
      Shouldnt have any "agricultural" skiing as conditions look lush at moment. Nursery area is not extensive and probably a little steeper in places than other nursery slopes in europe.

Bet you won't go back to Bulgaria after Andorra! Guaranteed no smelly Balkans/ cold food in Andorra......
    • Thanks Trev

Well, yes we are going back to Bulgaria in Feb!! Made a lot of friends there but really looking forward to Andorra too as a change and a chance to compare!!

Our resort in Bulgaria (Pamporovo) is really small in terms of runs so I know this is going to feel massive in terms of choice and we'll have no idea where to go!!

Excited of Harborne!

Ian
    • Hi Jordy
      Stayed at the Patagonia a couple of seasons back you can store your skis in the garage behind reception they have storage racks some of them lockable, if you take a lock with you. The blue run Les Marradas takes You right back down to within 50yrds of the hotel . Arinsal ski area is great but like Trev said I would recommend you go to the top of Arinsal and get the gondola over to Pal it has a much wider choice of runs you will love it . :thumbup:
      It's a grand old team
    • Thanks to all for the help - everything went swimmingly and we were mightily impressed with Arinsal (all three areas).

Hayley - thanks for meeting us with the lift passes and the tips. Steve, thanks for the pre-trip advice.

The fella in St Moritz hire shop (by hotel) was very helpful and stayed late to fit us up on arrival day. He also let us bring boots back a day late due to late return from Arcalis.

Snow was good, not too busy, hotel excellent.

All in all, sure we will be back!

Ian
    • Hey Ian!

Your welcome. Great to hear you had a good time and glad you got over to Arcalis.

Pepe in the Crest shop is a star, he always goes out of his way to help people.

Hope you had a nice Christmas and New year. Let us know before you come next time id there's anything we can help with or pre arrival tips.

:thumbsup: Hayley
    • Hi, I will be in Andorra with my girlfriend next week and would like some advice as it would be our first time there.
      We will be staying at the Hotel Park Andorra and would like to ask the following questions:
      1, how do we get to the ski resort/school from the hotel & how long does it take?
      2, for equipment rentals, where do we pick them up from?
      3, will the ski passes be delivered to the hotel or where could we collect them?
      Many thanks!
    • Hi Alex

The Hotel Park Andorra is in Andorra la Vella, so approximately 12km from Arinsal. If you have a rental car it takes around 20-25 minutes to drive, or you can take the bus which takes a bit longer.

If you book your ski rental on our website you collect from any of the three Sant Moritz rental shops in Arinsal - there's one in the centre of the village and another at the top of the gondola - these would probably the best two options for you, and you ccan choose either.

Unfortunately we only deliver ski passes in Arinsal so we wouldn't deliver them to your hotel in Andorra la Vella, however you can let us know when you are arriving in Arinsal and we'll meet you with them, maybe at the ski hire shop.

Steve