Snow for New Year

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Snow for New Year

Morning all, we have a group of 4 family and friends coming out o the 29th on december this year for new years week. What has the resort been like Historically for snow, i am keeping an eye on the website for the snow forcast but just looking for a bit of info. 8)
      Cheers
      Matt
    • Hi. I'm looking at the weather forecast and web cams, and it seems still very sunny and warm whereas I am hearing about snowfalls around the alps etc. How does the weather so far in November compare to previous seasons.

We are coming out at the beginning of January and I am wondering when the snow base would usually start settling and then building up?

Thanks
    • The first dump of the season looks set to hit on Friday, it could go on for a good 5 days, the slopes will be sorted for a good start I'd have thought.....there have been several snowfalls so far this month, but the temperature hasn't dropped enough for it to stick around. I'm already in resort so I'll keep you posted.
    • Cheers for the response Steve. Having been checking the webcams daily it looks stunning, although, the Arinsal one had a big snowflake on it for most of the day today, but i guess that is a good thing.
      With regards to the mountain and forgive me if it is somewhere on the site somewhere, what are the opening hours, of the mountain, when is the first chair and when more importantly the last, there are 4 of us visiting for new year, 2 are in ski and snowboard school and the other 2 are free skiing. We are going to meet up with our learner members and join them after their lessons, but am not sure how much time we will have on the mountain until we have to ski down? Please can you help. Also do you know at present if there is sufficient snow that you can ski back down to the hotel Patagonia as this is where we are staying for the new years week.

Cheers and good skiing this weekend
      regards
      Matt Lee
    • Hi Matt

The mountain is open from 09:00-17:00 however the gondola from the village centre and the chairlift from near the Patagonia start at 08:30 so you can get up to the ski station, although no further lifts until 09:00. The first lift to close is the cable car linking Arinsal and Pal, which closes at 16:15, then other high lifts at 16:30, then the gondola/Crest chairlift run downwards only until around 17:15/17:30 so everyone can get back to the village.

There's around 80cm at the base so in theory yes there's plenty to open down to the Patagonia, and I would expect it will be open, although not confirmed yet as the mountain isn't open until the 30th.

As soon as we can get skiing we'll start our snow report on the weather page so you'll be able to see what's happening on there.

Steve
    • snow conditions

Have a great opening day tommorrow, the conditions look fantastic - with regards to the lifts, the cable car runs from the centre of the village to the base station, then there is chair from patagonia/crest - can you ski to the base station from the chairlift or is it flat. just a thought... 4 weeks and counting..
      regards
      Matt Lee 8)
    • Hi Matt :)

Is it warm in the UK right now?

The slopes are in perfect condition right now. I was up skiing yesterday and they're great! It's not warm but it's not cold it's just spot on weather wise these days :thumbsup: The temperature is around 0 - 4 degrees and there's pretty much no wind so it's happy days on the slopes. Vallnord are great are looking after their pistes and we've had such a great early dumping of the white stuff that there is plenty to go on.

Hayley
    • Snow conditions

I am currently sat in the bar at the hotel Palarine and it's happy hour :)
      We have never seen such good snow conditions over Christmas during our last 4 visits at this time of the year, yesterday in a 1ft of new snow was hard work on the legs, today was amazing with clear blue skies and well groomed piste.
      If your coming out enjoy :)