December/January 2013/14

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• December/January 2013/14

Hi,

After being a regular visitor to France, Italy, Finland & Austria, I felt its time for a change.

I've just booked for a party of 6 to Arinsal as there are generally good reviews.

The group consists of:

Me (mid 40's) - Experienced skier, usually 2 holidays a year with mates for as long as I can remember. :D

Mrs (mid 40's) - Complete novice who took a lot of persuading to come ;(

Daughter 1 & boyfriend (both 19) - ski trip with school about 6 years ago :S

Daughter 2 (15) Experienced skier, several trips with me and school :D

Daughter 3 (15) Ski trip with school 2 years ago :S

So something of a mixed bag really. All except Mrs should at least be able to stay upright, but therein lies the issue. We arrive 28th December for a week (I assume there is snow at this time of year?) but there does not appear to be any ski school that week. Can you clarify as I'd rather pay someone else teach the other half to ski while I enjoy myself.

Never been to Arinsal but the reviews suggest its good for beginners and experienced skiers alike.
    • Hi Paul

Great to hear you're visiting Andorra :thumbsup:

The school is open as normal that week however I think maybe you've searched for lessons starting Sunday, however here in Andorra the group lessons run Monday to Friday as the most popular arrival day is Sunday.

That means you've two options for those needing lessons - first up is private lessons for the duration - this can be a great option although depends on the budget because whilst it's great to learn 1-on-1 and they will learn a lot quicker it is more expensive than group lessons. Option two would be to take a private lesson on the first day and then join the group lessons from Monday.

I hope this makes sense, just ask if you have any questions, and for more information and prices of private and group lessons have a read through our ski school page.

Steve
    • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. I'm hoping t'other half will enjoy sliding down the mountain as much as I do but I have many reservations. I fear after the first day aches & pains set in she won't go back and she will concentrate more on "avant de ski" rather than après :huh: . Having said that, if the instructor is a good looking young fella, there will probably be no stopping her !

Is Arinsal snow sure on upper & lower slopes late December/early January?

I normally like a bit of a plan before I get to resort and study piste maps, Google earth etc. prior to arrival but you can't beat a bit of local knowledge. What do you recommend as "must do" routes? I'm as happy on a challenging icy black as I am on a long wide sweeping blue or green.

Cheers

Paul
    • Opening day is scheduled for November 30th and normally there's enough snow to open on time, although not 100% of the runs. By the end of December the snow is normally starting to accumulate so it's normally good skiing in early January, although it is still fairly early in the season. On our photos page you'll be able to go back the past few years to see the conditions eg. December 2012.

In terms of what you like to ski, you'll probably want to head over to Pal as there are some great runs over there. Look out for La Comellada which is one of the first blacks you get to - normally it's not pisted so some great natural moguls plus if there's enough snow by then you can nip into the trees. You can also get some good speed on the reds in the middle of Pal.

It's most definitely worth a trip on the freebus to Arcalis for at least a day as it's superb over there with a lot more challenging runs and possibilities for off-piste but still within the main ski area and ending up at a lift. There are also some good beginners slopes there so highly recommended.

I hope this helps!
    • Hi Paul

Pal is linked by a cable car from the top of Arinsal so no need for a bus (unless you really want to!) - Arcalis is the one where you need a bus ride.

New Year is a big party around the village - most hotels do some kind of gala dinner or event, and then all the bars make a big effort, most are free but a couple charge an entry fee.

Steve