It's Time!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It's Time!!

Right then Steve,
      It's nearly that time for the finishing touches for the holiday, we arrive out there on 07/03 thanks to Easyjet an hour later than planned but should still be in resort by 16:00. Hire car, sprog seat, chains, satnav all sorted but need a little more info on the important stuff.

We will be staying at the Sant Andreau, which hire store is it that stays open late on Sunday, I bet it's not the one close to the hotel, is it?

There will be my wife,who, whilst she can link snowplough turns, is less confident in her own ability than a complete beginner ?(. I hope she will also be passed for recreational at Hemel on her next session next week :thumbup:
      My 6 year old son, who has managed to get passed recreational standard at Hemel fridge :thumbup:
      And myself who will be inter. snowboarding :thumbsup:

So all doing different lessons, all will need to be in different places at the same time on Monday morning I assume, My son and myself will be easy enough to place we will just go straight for intermediate, but what is the best thing to do with my wife?

We will be buying all our passes and rental through you shop, so how do we get hold of all the passes and hire gear once in resort?
      The price of the mountain lockers has gone up!!! :evil:

How bad does the weather need to be before the mountain is closed and lessons suspended?
      If the mountain is closed i take it lockers and skis cannot be retrieved for skiing somewhere else.

Can i assume that it will not be that busy the week we are coming, and that i can leave booking and paying for lessons and equipment for a couple of weeks more. It is a lot of cash to be sitting in someones account doing nothing :huh:

Cheers, can't wait :thumbsup:
    • Hi Ric

Sounds like you're starting to get excited!!

Ricfrench wrote:

which hire store is it that stays open late on Sunday

It's the shop in the village centre which stays open late on Sunday (until 8pm), and it's the one closest to the Sant Andreu! :thumbup:

Ricfrench wrote:

So all doing different lessons, all will need to be in different places at the same time on Monday morning I assume

All meet at the top of the gondola - advanced beginners turn to your right, and just by the dry-stone-wall on the left hand side; intermediates go to the top of the metal stairs and meet at the bottom of the magic carpet lifts. If you're booking with us we meet you with your tickets and explain all this so you don't get lost!

Ricfrench wrote:

what is the best thing to do with my wife?

If she can link snowplough turns and confidently ski a blue run then she should go for intermediates. If not, it's advanced beginners. It's about a 1-2 minute walk between the two meeting points so nothing to get stressed about, and the lessons are at the same times.

Ricfrench wrote:

We will be buying all our passes and rental through you shop, so how do we get hold of all the passes and hire gear once in resort?

When you book you'll receive vouchers by e-mail. Print these out and bring them with you. When you arrive you can go directly to the rental shop with your voucher. For lift passes and lessons ring me on the telephone number printed on the vouchers and we'll come to meet you at your accommodation/in a bar/somewhere convenient for you with your passes & lesson tickets. Alternatively, if you arrive on a Sunday we do a drop-in hour at Restaurant 360 from 7-8pm.

Ricfrench wrote:

The price of the mountain lockers has gone up!!!

Yes, at the start of the season Sant Moritz were offering cheaper lockers in their shop at the top of the gondola, however they now have to be the same price as Vallnord sell them underneath the shop. :(

Ricfrench wrote:

How bad does the weather need to be before the mountain is closed and lessons suspended?

Very bad! Very high winds, or very high avalanche risk. Not very often at all!

Ricfrench wrote:

If the mountain is closed i take it lockers and skis cannot be retrieved for skiing somewhere else.

That's right, if your skis are in a locker at the top, however depending on circumstances we may be able to arrange rentals for you for the day from the shop in the village.

Ricfrench wrote:

Can i assume that it will not be that busy the week we are coming, and that i can leave booking and paying for lessons and equipment for a couple of weeks more.

It's not usually as busy as for example half term, however it's back in to low season so will be busy-ish. That's no problem to leave it for a couple of weeks though.

Just been skiing today and it's excellent! Will try to upload new photos later if I get chance - loads of snow and bright blue skies!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve :thumbsup:
    • Cheers Steve
      Efficient as ever.
      What would you recommend?
      I will be snowboarding in the morning, i'm bringing my own skis so i can ski in the afternoon(maybe) with my wife and son, I know how difficult ski boots can be if they are cold, would the st moritz lockers be inside and warmer or are the vallnord lockers more accessable but out in the cold?
      I've heard on the grape vine about a club Vallnord card the give 10% discount, is it easy to get hold of and would discount apply to lockers?
      RF
    • Really not sure if it applies to lockers, but you can get one from the information desk at the top of the gondola.

As for being cold, the lockers downstairs are just in an open room, but the Sant Moritz lockers are in the shop so I guess must be warmer. The shop is open whenever the mountain is so access shouldn't be a problem.

Steve
    • Cheers thanks for the locker info, now just have to figure out what is best, easier ski boot putting on or 10% discount, to be honest the warmer boots is sounding more attractive at the moment.
      Anyway, just booked all our stuff through your shop, put my wife into beginners(as she requested to be put into advanced beginners), personally i think she should go into intermediate as i have seen her link snowplough turns at our local indoor fridge, but having never skied anything longer the 200 meters, confidence on a blue run is something we have no knowledge of!!. If it turns out she finds some confidence would she be replaced into intermediates or left where she is, which may be the right level or may not be ?(
      Just started snowing 30 miles north of london :D

Did do some other research and couldn't get a better rental/lesson/pass package anywere well done, when we eventually get there we'll be coming to 360 on the sunday evening, you deserve a pint :thumbup:

Have I seen you chucking some posts around snowheads?
    • Hi Ric

Thank you, I received your booking yesterday afternoon. It'll either be my wife or I who meets you at 360 as one of us will be over in Grandvalira.

If somebody is 'too good' or 'not good enough' for a particular group then instructors do move people around.

Yes, I'm on Snowheads - my name is snowsteve.

See you in a few weeks!

Steve