We will be there

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• We will be there

Hi Steve,
      There's a party of 11 of us coming on 10/01/10 for the week, staying at the St Gothard's. Ages ranging from 7 to 55 and all abilities of skiing.
      Anything we need to know? I hear it's a nice hotel, but a bus ride from the gondola. I was last in Arinsal 20 years ago, and I suppose there has been a lot of changes since then.
      Is the shuttle bus a free one from the hotel?
      When is the best day(s) to go to Arcalis?
      Is beer still cheap there??!!
      The odd thing about our group, is that the eldest are the beginners!! Hence they've asked me to ask you 'How's the instructors?'
      I see by the forecast that some snow is promised tonight - Which is the best forecast for the area? so that we can live in hope of a good dump!!
      See you there
    • We are coming out on 10/01 as well. The instructors are brilliant - everyone will have a ball. I think the ski bus is free - It was the last time we used it. You could walk up from St Gothard in probably about 15-20 minutes, but the altitude makes it a killer. The beer isn't particularly cheap, but it isn't expensive - usually runs about the same as a pint in the local. Don't worry about the snow - since we started skiing we have lost days to too much snow, but never one to not enough snow. On our first day of skiing, we had about a foot of fresh snow in two hours before we started beginners lessons.... easy for falling over, but a nightmare trying to get your skis back on when you can't stand up anyway. Then we had 40 inches overnight in Killington last Christmas. Everyone said it was a once in a lifetime snowfall. 6 weeks later we were in Arinsal (Feb 11th/12th) - What a dump - instructor told us it had dropped 8cm of snow an hour for 15 hours..... in the village........ but it was really really heavy at the top of the mountain. Everyone said it was a once in a lifetime snowfall. ;( - This time we are hoping to find out what a piste looks like :D :D :D
    • Is the shuttle bus a free one from the hotel?

Yes it is - you get on just across the road and slightly up hill.

When is the best day(s) to go to Arcalis?

It depends how you want to get there! This year the free ski bus to Arcalis is only on Friday and Saturday, but you could get a taxi, or if you have a car whilst you're here you could drive midweek as it will be quieter. Some tour reps are organising a guided coach too (I think on Saturdays)

Is beer still cheap there??!!

Around €3 for a pint, or print out some discount vouchers before you come to get 2 for 1's, and even some FREE BEER!!! :thumbsup:

'How's the instructors?'

Excellent! Loads of British instructors so language barriers aren't (usually) a problem, and there are some really excellent instructors at the school.

Which is the best forecast for the area?

They all vary so much it's hard to tell - I'd have a look at them all and take the one that says the most snow!

so that we can live in hope of a good dump!!

:thumbsup:

Steve
    • we are going to the gothard at the same time there,s 3 off us the only downside is the walk uphill if you miss the ski bus .
      steve is it true the free ski bus to arc is only 2 days a week as last year it was free everyday?
      what is the fare on the bus now to go to arc?
      thanks 8) 8)
    • Yes, it's true, the Arcalis bus is now only Friday and Saturday!

Not sure of the exact cost, but you'd have to get the bus to La Massana (get of by supermarket Garalla, just under the red gondola) cross the road, and get the bus coming from Andorra la Vella to Arcalis.