Skiing Today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Skiing Today

I beared the cold this afternoon and headed up the mountain for a few runs, and had a great time! It's essential to wrap up, particularly on the lifts as it must have been down to around -10! The snow making has worked, plus the sprinkling of natural snow we had last night, and the conditions were really good, and the mountain was open right to the top of the Port Negre chair lift.

Better still, there was hardly anyone on the mountain so loads of room to play around! It was a bit cold to keep taking my gloves off, but took a few photos anyway, and they're now in the December album.

Steve :thumbsup:
    • I went up the mountain for a few runs at lunchtime today and can second what Steve said on Thursday; it's still bitterly cold (even in the sunshine!) lots of layers needed! The snow was in surprisingly good condition, a little hard and icy in places which is to be expected with these low temperatures but generally was quite pleasant. The Les Marrades run (or the Crest run as it's more commonly known) was also open today enabling skiing right down to the village. The slopes are starting to get a little busier with the start of the Christmas holidays and the resort should be in full swing by tommorow :D

Emma
    • Update 11th January ...

I took Les Fonts chairlift up first and headed over to the drag lift to the top of Arinsal (those of you new to Arinsal, there's a chair or a drag to the top however the chair is quite slow and takes a while, whereas if you're ok on drag lifts it's much quicker and not as cold!).

Headed over on the cable car to Pal, taking La Botella chair further in to the Pal ski area. The first run you come to dropping off to the left is La Comellada which is a very challenging black run. Now the powder has been here a few days it's very tracked out and as it's not pisted it's full of natural moguls. If you're a really good skier or snowboarder there's still loads of fluffy powder if you head in to the trees down the side of the run (see photos of Pal added today). It's quite open higher up but the trees get thicker towards the bottom!

After skiing over to the main ski station in Pal I headed back to Arinsal. All the runs are in fantastic condition with loads of snow, and I'm already looking forward to getting up again!

• Update 27th January ...

I went skiing in Arinsal today for a couple of runs - really cold but lots of sunshine! We had a sprinkling of snow last night, but not too much - more forecast for the weekend. I skied La Capa which was beautifully groomed - quite hard, but with a softer top layer but nice and even so easy for big turns.

The slopes are really quiet at the moment but things should start to pick up as we head in to February.
    • Got up this morning to about 12cm of fresh snow! It was bright so I went up skiing - snow was lovely in places, but very windy on the chairlifts which was blowing the snow around too. Skiing below th Obelix cafe was excellent.

I came down just after lunch as the wind was picking up more, which has brought more snow, and now snowing heavily again :thumbsup:
    • Updated 1st February ...

Went skiing this morning to make the most of the fantastic weather - bright blue skies and loads of snow. I took the Coma chairlift up then the drag to the top as it was so cold on the chairlift! Skied right down to the bottom of Les Marrades (by the Crest) a few times and it was superb! The snow is in tip-top condition, loads of it, and still fairly quiet slopes this morning!

My tip for the day would be to have a scarf or a neck warmer because it is bitterly cold at the moment, especially on the lifts!

• I was skiing this afternoon and Spring has most definately sprung! Higher up the mountain was beautiful with fresh snow, but lower down in the sun was very soft indeed. It's definately worth getting up on the mountain early to get the best conditions.

I'm looking forward to the weekend as the temperature is due to go down which will help keep the snow in better condition later in the day.

Steve :thumbup:
    • snow conditions

Hi Steve,
      We arrive monday night and will be on the slopes tuesday, theres 9 of us coming and we're all getting excited. The conditions sound great but would you mind telling me your opinion of what we can excpect skiing wise next week? I dont think i've ever looked forward to a skiing holliday as much as this one so my fingers are firmly crossed!
      cheers

john
    • Hi John

Glad to hear you're all getting excited! If the weather stays as it is (as per forecast) then conditions should be pretty good. It's supposed to stay below freezing for the next few days which will keep the snow in good condition, and every run across Vallnord is open right now.

Only trouble is that it's going to be sunny too so the snow will probably become a bit softer as the afternoon progresses so my recommendation would be to get up the mountain early to make the most of the conditions. Basically it's perfect skiing weather for March at the moment!

I'd also definately get over to Arcalis as it's a bit higher therefore a bit colder and has some excellent skiing. Have a look on our 'Arcalis' page on the 'Mountain' menu for more details, but there's a free bus over there on Fridays and Saturdays.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    • Just had an awesome day on the mountain in Arinsal, thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies. The runs where awesome today, nicely groomed and soft under foot, especially the runs in the sun. The runs with shady patches for example the Crest were a little hard packed in places. With only the Capa button lift still to open, there’s plenty of runs to explore in Arinsal and that’s not even thinking about going over to Pal!!

My favourite runs have to be the runs either side of the park. I love watching the skiers and boarders pulling huge tricks, front side 180’s, backside 360’s, back flips you name it these guys were pulling them.... crazy days!! By the end of the season I’d like to be pulling 180’s, that’s my personal goal!! And it’s written down for the world to see LOL, wish me luck. :)
    • We had some great snowfall the last 2 days. I went up the mountain this morning first thing to make the most of the quiet Sunday slopes! Had a fab morning :)
      The slopes in Arinsal a fresh, light and full of snow!! Even on the sides of the slopes we have some nice powder now to play around in. After my last couple of days up the mountain on my skis I decided today was a day to get my snowboard out, I'm so glad I went with that decision. I did a few runs with a friend who was trying to teach me a few tricks, which the snow is perfect for as any falling over I did I had a soft landing haha!

Anyone coming to Arinsal soon start getting excited because the conditions are perfect :thumbsup:
    • Over the last few weeks my board has been put to the back of the cupboard and I’ve been enjoying shaping the slopes on my skis. My recent ski school lessons have not only fuelled my love for skiing but also improved my technique enormously. I owe a BIG thank you to Vallnord ski school and in particular to my instructor Stephanie, my class and I think you are amazing :thumbsup:

You’ve taught us to dance on skis (improving our posture) to synchronised tandem riding (improving our speed control and technical ability with short turns) to the advanced technical techniques like carving. I think I speak for us all when I say thank you for your help, inspiration and patience. It was an amazing 5 days of giggles, adventures and stories.

Not only did we learn a great deal that week, but our group also became celebrities here in Arinsal, with the boys from Quo Vadis capturing probably one of the most spectacular crashes of the season, congratulations Lee and his ability to take out 3 people!! The fall wasn’t the most giggle worthy part, it was the 3 other skiers that magically seemed to be attracted to the same laying down position next to him!! Impressively he had landed smack bang in the line of the button lift.... The video clip on occasion is still being shown hehe. (Don’t worry no one was seriously hurt :) )

With my new found skiing confidence and my love of the park it’s no surprise it wasn’t last long before I found myself there. First ride through I was the spectator, cheering and congratulating my friends on their achievements, by round 2.... my wall of nervousness had lowered by the temptation of air!! Theres nothing quite like the sensation of AIR!! Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a BIGGGG air girlie, however the adrenaline and buzz you get when landing even the smallest of jumps is amazing and the feeling is no different from being on a board or skis....YES I did land them, well not all of them, LOL in my case practice definitely makes things more elegant and graceful hehe.

Thank you again Stephanie for giving me the confidence to try new things and fuelling my love for the mountains :)
    • It’s snowing across Vallnord today, what a great way for the Mountains to send their love to everyone with new snow on Valentine’s Day.

I hope your all having a special day with loved ones, enjoying the slopes. I’ve just come down from doing a couple of runs this morning in Arinsal, the slopes are looking good, they’d been beautifully groomed overnight and the few centimetres of fresh snow has made for a great morning creating some lines. The past few days have been a little warmer and made the slopes a little icy in patches but the new snow is certainly helping.... Love you new snow and thank you Vallnord Mountains!!

The best news of all.... its forecast for the mountains to continue sending more love over the next few days too.... :love:

Is anyone else falling in love with the mountains???!!

Happy Valentine’s day everyone x