WOO HOO!!! Finally talked her into skiing(only taken 10 years!!)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WOO HOO!!! Finally talked her into skiing(only taken 10 years!!)

This is the first time skiing for my wife and 6 year old,never been to arinsal before could do with a little help on deciding how many pairs of socks, thermals, fleeces etc to buy for the week, we need to take enough but dont want to totally over do it(cost, weight and stuff).
      We are flying into Barcelona would a hire car or bus transfer be the best option, they cost around the same but i have never had to put on snow chains before!!!!!
      I know its imposible to be accurate but how reliable is snow the 2nd week of march?(it looks like a good week to go on your photo pages!!)
      Are there any ski lockers at the top of the gondola? if so would we need to book them?
      Cheers, I'm sure there will be lots more questions the closer it gets... :thumbsup:
    • Hi Ric

Firstly, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on getting your first ski trip booked!

I'd probably take 3 pairs of ski socks for a week, but you could probably get away with 2 if you're happy to wash them out every other day! As for thermals it's best to take a few so then you can layer up if it's really cold. I'd only take the one fleece, but also a decent waterproof ski jacket.

It's a tough choice between transfer coach and car hire, and it just depends on how confident you are about driving in bad (or good - if there'd lots of snow!) weather. If you get a car then you'll have the freedom to pop out of resort whenever you want, but it can be a pain if you need to put snow chains on and dig it out, plus any worry about what happens if you have a bump. There is a free bus to Arcalis, and it costs about €2.75 each way to Andorra la Vella, plus there are taxis.

You're right, it is impossible to know what the conditions will be like in March, just a case of wait and see! However, in every season I've done in Arinsal we've had some of the best snow in March. Also, there's snow forecast for Andorra for this Tuesday!!

As for lockers, there are lots at the top of the gondola and no need to pre-book as you're only a family of 3. They cost €54 for 6 days last season and hold up to 4 sets of equipment.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Steve
    • Thanks Steve
      Did you get your snow? or was it a met office forcast?
      We have booked the Sant Andreau 'cos it has great reviews and is well priced, does it live up to the hype?
      Which is closer, the gondola or chair lift?
      if its the chair lift is it a snow covered skis attached dismount? :D
      Cheers
      ricfrench
    • I'm not in Andorra yet, heading back in a few weeks ready for the season, but aparently it snowed on Tuesday over in Pas de la Casa.

Sant Andreu has a great reputation in the village - the rooms are a good size and the food is really good too! The staff are excellent and will look after you during your stay. It's a bit higher up than the centre of the village, so I'd probably walk down to the gondola in the morning, then get the chair lift back at the end of the day and walk down to the hotel!

As for the chair at the top of the village you can either go on it with your skis attached, or carry them on. Les Marrades, the run that goes to the bottom, has had new snow cannons fitted this summer so it should be open throughout the season which is a great improvement.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Steve :D