So when is everybody going....what dates you got booked.......

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So when is everybody going....what dates you got booked.......

What dates everybody going ? Or are you waiting till the poweder alarm emails start flying, then booking last-minute ?
      Historically (last 10 years), the most snow falls in March. I'm going out on the 22nd Feb for two weeks...can't wait :D
    • first ski holiday

Hi everyone,

We have just booked our first ski holiday. We are coming to Arinsal on 28th Dec for a week. My partner and our sons aged 11 and 13. the boys are blissfully unaware. we are going to tell them on xmas morning!! Any advice for first time skiiers would be appreciated

steph x :thumbsup:
    • 1st time skiers

Hi
      Firstly, enjoy your holiday ! Hopefully plenty of snow four you guys :D Hopefully 'Steve' will be along shortly to offer some 'sage' advice. From my own experience of Arinsal; I would definitely get a locker from St Moritz, the guys and girls there are really helpful. 30% off ski-rentals (unless you've already booked via a package deal) with St Moritz too via the link on this page (at the top).

The nursery slopes at Arinsal are superb for beginners and the ski-school super-friendly :D Your pass will also be valid for Pal (and Arcalis) and you can zip across to the slopes of Pal via the teleferique (cable-car) at the top of Bordes de Seturia (see the slope-map for details, 'Mountain' button at the top of this page).

Where are you staying ? There is quite a lot to do in Arinsal, some great bars and restaurants etc.

Have fun, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. :thumbup:
    • HI!
      We have booked a package with Inghams which includes ski school, boot hire and lift passes. We are staying at the hotel Solana which seems to have mixed reviews on tripadvisor though i think it will suffice for the time we will probably spend in the hotel which will be minimal.
      I think we get a ski locker at the gondola in with our price but i gather they are cheap to hire.
      Have been having a look on this site and a few other and there seem to be some decent bars and places to eat in the resort. We are half board but probably won't eat at the hotel every night.
      Are the kids (11 and 13) welcome in the bars???
    • If it's your first time, the main thing I would recommend is to have as much fun as possible!!! In Arinsal, it's just as much about what goes on on the slopes as what goes on in the village! You've booked the Hotel Solana which is a basic 3* but it does the job and is very handy for everything the village has to offer.

As for the kids, Arinsal is very family friendly and kids are welcome just about everywhere. There are some fab activities such as "Arinsal by Night" which is a sledging evening on the mounatin - ask your rep about it - and 70s Party on a Friday evening which is a great way to finish your holiday, and goes down very well with families - again, ask your rep for info, they will be able to point you in the right direction.

I've just arrived in Arinsal today and it's snowing at the moment so it's looking as though it should be a great start to the season!! Have a look through the beginners section on Arinsal.co.uk for tips of what to wear, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Above all, I really hope you enjoy your first skiing trip!

Steve :thumbup:
    • Thanks Steve,
      Had a read of the forum and totally excited about getting there now!!! I'm counting the days and checking the webcams and snow reports on a daily basis lol.
      We're not telling the kids till christmas moring that we're going so the excitement is very much self contained!! My parnter skiied years ago on a school trip and i'm sure our boys will love it (they're 11 and 13).
      We've bought most of our ski gear now, just need a few odds and ends. Bought a lot of it from tk maxx and skiwarehouse online.
      My cousin went to pas de la casa last year and said though there was plenty snow she said it wasn't particularly cold. Can you give me some advice on base layers ie. do we really need them and if so how many sets each for the week? Iwas thinking 2 sets each??
      Thanks for the info, the eveing slope thing sounds like fun and i did read about the 70's night which i think we'll go to as well :thumbsup: .
      Any thought on new years eve? The hotel has a gala dinner but it doesn't sound too special....
    • Base Layers et al

Hi clarkysteph

Wrt base-layering etc. Anything in mad-made nylon wicks away sweat pretty well. There is normally a selection of base layers at TK Maxx (base layers are best described as nylon long-johns I guess) ;)

What I usually wear is a wicking base layer(Helly Hansen Lifa) next to the skin of the man-made nylon type (although I still prefer cotton for underwear). :D I would have thought that 2 sets of base layers each is certainly enough. Waterproof outwear is quite important when you are learning to ski/board as you will spend a fair bit of time on your derrière :whistling: Choosing the right kind of socks can make a difference too. Ski-boots, by their very nature are a 'snug' fit. Having a great big thick tube sock is not always the best option. A good sock will make all the difference; not too thick, maybe a good synthetic or Merino wool. I don't really want to bog you down with details (life's too short), but probably a good idea to take a a few pairs each if you can. A the end of a days skiing your socks will be damp; as will your boot liners. If your boots are kept in a heated locker, they will be nice and dry when you put them on each morning :thumbsup:

Depending on what the weather is like I might wear a micro fleece top (polartec, or something similar); my snowboard trousers ( I ski too, so this advice is pretty generic) are both waterproof and breathable as are my jackets. If it's really cold, I'll wear an insulated jacket and trousers. If it's warmer, then I tend to wear lightweight shell jacket and trousers. I usually take a few pairs of gloves so that I can change them out during the day, if they get wet...doesn't happen often these days, but if you fall over a lot...your gloves get wet, simple as that.

I also wear a helmet and impact protection shorts, the best two investments for me ever 8) Falling in powder snow is nice and soft...ice, on the other hand is as hard as concrete.

Have a great time, I am sure the boys will absolutely love it, as will you and your partner.

Any other Q' you have, just post; I am happy to help if I can...& Steve is always offering good advice and from the perspective of working in the resort, there isn't much that he won't know.

Cheers :thumbup:

Drew
    • £200....Ouch !

Hi clarkysteph

Hopefully £200 well spent....as you will have a 'riot' of a time and be back...year after year, after year :thumbsup:

Judging by the webcams and the weather reports....this is going to be a season to remember ! Have a great time and don't forget to send Steve any photo's so that he can upload them to the site :thumbup:

22 and counting then....am sure you will all LOVE IT !

Cheers
      Drew