Reply to Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Information
Verification (“reCAPTCHA”)
  • :(
  • ;)
  • :P
  • ^^
  • :D
  • ;(
  • X(
  • :*
  • :|
  • 8o
  • =O
  • <X
  • ||
  • :/
  • :S
  • X/
  • 8)
  • ?(
  • :huh:
  • :rolleyes:
  • :love:
  • 8|
  • :cursing:
  • :thumbdown:
  • :thumbsup:
  • :thumbup:
  • :sleeping:
  • :whistling:
  • :evil:
  • :saint:
  • <3
  • :!:
  • :?:
  • :pinch:
  • :wacko:
  • :Dblue
  • :O
The maximum number of attachments: 10
Maximum file size: 1 MB
Allowed extensions: bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, txt, zip
Automatically detects web page links.
Displays smilies as smiley-images.
Allows BBCodes to be used.

Previous Posts 22

• Winter tyres

Pilgrimfan

Hi I know the snow chains/socks subject has been covered here but I don’t seem to be able to find the definitive answer to the following; I’m hiring a car out of Barcelona it appears impossible to get one with winter tyres, so does having snow socks in the car cover me legally In Andora as I read elsewhere winter tyres are a legal requirement.
    Thanks john
  • Hi Bob,

The pricing does range depending on the size of vehicle - if its snowing when you get to Andorra you can buy them from most garages and petrol stations on route. Generally they average about €15 + however it does depend on brand, size and where you purchase them. There is a service station as the border where you can purchase them or wait until you get into Andorra La Vella.
    If you are renting a car, make sure you know the tyre size of the car before you buy them and read the instructions carefully as they are not the easiest to put on if you have never done it before! You can also rent them from the rental company however they tend to charge more.

Hope the information above helps.

Rebecca.
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks for your message,

If your rental company is charging you a lot for the snow chains, maybe it would be better for you to buy them as you can find them easily in car workshops, gas stations and even supermarkets, and they will cost you around 60€.

However, I would recommend you if possible to get them before crossing the border as if the police stops you in Andorra and you don't have them you can get fined.

Please, let me know if you have any questions,

Kind regards,
    Esther
  • Hi,

Is it still advisable to purchase the snow chains as you cross the border into Andorra, given the car rental companies In Barcelona want to charge a fortune to rent some for 6 days?

Thanks

Neil
  • Hi David,

Sorry for the confussion.

Yes, I meant you have to have them in the car so in case it starts snowing you can put them on.

Please, let me know if you still having questions,

Kind regards,
    Esther
  • Snow chains

WEGGY WEST

Hi Esther.
    Did you mean have chains or socks IN the car, not ON the car, as you arrive even if it is not snowing?
    Just want to make sure for when we arrive.
    Thanks.
    David.
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your message.

Yes, the roads are clean at the moment as it has stopped snowing and the temperature raised a few degrees.

However, there is heavy snow forecasted for this weekend so we will recommend you to get snow tyres or chains if possible.

Also, since last November, it is mandatory to always have chains or socks on the car (if you don't have snow tyres) even if it is not snowing and if the police stop you and you don't have chains you could be fined.

Please, let me know if you have any other questions,

Kind regards,
    Esther
  • Snow on the roads?

Tom

Hi

I will be arriving tomorrow. Just wanted to check if the driving conditions are ok at the moment around the resort?

Likely to change over night i understand.

Thanks

Tom